Cat urine smell like any other animal’s urine. While many individuals have a state of mind that cat urine is one of the worst smells observed in nature. Do you know why cat pee smells so bad? The cat’s urine consists of various components which makes it smelly. It is a concentrate of metabolic waste which consists of urea, creatine, different detoxified substances, uric acid, sodium chloride, and some more electrolytes. Because of the presence of urobilinogen in a cat’s urine, its characteristics are yellow in color.
This article is helpful in finding the solutions to “Why does my cat pee smell so bad” and “what are the permanent cleaning methods to get rid of such bad odor.”
Why Does My Cat Pee Smell So Bad?
In many cases, it is been observed that the cat owners do not notice their pet’s urine which becomes a problem. Cats are animals who have the weakness to mark their area outside the litter box for example, they can choose the carpet or any other area of their choice to urinate. Because of such problems, there is a high chance that bacteria will initiate the decomposition of urea.
If it happens this is the first stage when the urine will start to give off an ammoniacal smell which will be intolerable.
In the next stage, the decomposition process will start to diffuse mercaptans and various compounds which are responsible for the nasty smells. Similarly, there are numerous factors because of which each animal has their different kind of smell.
If you have an older pet then there are more chances of worst-smelling urine. This is because older pets have lesser power over their kidneys which makes the urine smells so bad.
Why does Male Cat Pee Smell So Bad in Comparison to Female Cats?
The male cat’s urine smell is the worst because it consists of hormones, pheromones, and certain steroids. As per the medical studies, if your cat’s urine provides a strong fishy smell then it can be a sign of a urinary tract infection. These are common in animals like cats.
If a cat’s urine is giving a sweet fruity smell, then there are chances that they are suffering from signal feline diabetes. While if there is a stronger smell like ammonia which is intolerable, then it is because of a kidney problem or more concentrated urine.
In all such situations, you need to communicate with the pet doctor to find out the root cause and treat the problem as soon as possible.
Why Does Cat Pee Smell So Bad and How to Be Free from Such a Problem?
Do you know when you have a pet and it is a cat then they squeeze moisture from their intake of every food? Because of this reason, their body does not consume lots of water to drink in comparison to other animals for example dogs. Another important point that you should know about cats is their urine is darker in color as compared to other animals as well as it is super concentrated. As their urine is sensational and extra concentrated it provides a pungent smell.
Let us have a look to resolve the problem of why cat pee smells so bad:
1. Understand and examine the cat’s urine location:
- It is not a difficult task to find out the urine location of your pet. You can easily step out and check your home’s inside and outer areas if there is a stain on your floor to locate the urine.
- If you have carpets or mats at your home then the urine will get discolored. In such conditions, you can utilize ultraviolet light which will make it visible and glow to spot the urine location without any problem.
2. Once the urine location is spotted, try to remove it:
- For the removal of cat urine, you can check out the products which are easily available in the market. These products are made with the help of enzymatic reactions for example the hydrolysis of urea.
- Enzymes play an important role in breaking up urea into carbon dioxide and ammonia. These are the gases that are easy to evaporate in a quick manner.
- The enzymes are responsible for speeding up chemical reactions and hence these are known as the best proteins.
- By following the above process, it is easy to remove the urine before it turns to a nasty smell.
- One of the disadvantages of using such cleaning agents is that it utilizes enzymes that come with limited shelf life. This means enzymes lose their capability to remove the cat’s pee smell after some time as of its limited shelf life.
Are There Any Home Remedies to Be Free from Cat’s Pee Awful Smell?
Do you know there are numerous products available in the market that ensure remove the sticky and nasty smell from pet accidents if does not contain ammonia? What if, you have a pet like a cat that excretes urine that consists of ammonia? Because of such a problem, the cleaning agents will not be able to remove the ammonia scent from the urine location and your pet will try to urinate at the same place repeatedly.
Some important points that you should keep in mind before cleaning the urine with home ingredients:
- Bleach: If you are using bleach to remove your cat’s urine then it will be a dangerous combination as it produces harmful gases. Therefore, it recommends never to try to use bleach for cleaning your pet’s urine.
- Baking Soda, Essential oils, or Vinegar: Few pet owners try to use baking soda or essential oils to remove the nasty smell of urine. Also, tablespoons of vinegar are used for removing the touchy smell of cat pee. After following all such methods, there are chances that the smell will not be neutralized because of which your cat will again pee at the same place repeatedly.
Do Not Keep your Cat’s Litter Box to Be Dirty
If you do not clean your cat’s litter box for a longer period then it can be risky in many ways.
- If the litter box is dirty and not cleaned for a longer period then it can affect your health as well. Because of bacterial infections, or salmonellosis which initially affect the cat and later on will affect human health in many ways like fever, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting.
- A cat’s urine is full of ammonia which is a poisonous gas. If the litter box is not cleaned for a longer duration, then it can trigger headaches, asthma problems, breathing issues, and much more.
Are You Located at a Humid Place and Thinking Why Do My Cats Pee Smell So Bad?
Do you know that cats’ urine is loaded with uric acid because of this they have a stronger bond with the smell and urinate at a similar place after using cleaning agents as well. If you are living in a place that consists of lots of humidity then it is difficult to eradicate the cat’s pee smell. This is because the urine contains uric acid when it encounters humidity then it is quite possible that the leftover uric acid crystals will be able to regenerate and release the stench again.
Therefore, it is an important part to clear the cat-soiled items as soon as possible by following the process safely. Follow the above instructions and methods to free queries like “Why Does Cat Pee Smell So Bad?” In this manner, you will lead to discontinuing the cycle of unwanted elimination. Another important point while cleaning the cat’s urine is to use an odor neutralizer which will deliver an effective result.