Do you have a pet and are worried about his health as he is suffering from Gastroenteritis? We should understand what is gastroenteritis in dogs. In simple terms, gastroenteritis is an infection observed in the dog’s stomach and small intestine. If you are observing your pet with an upset or swollen stomach then it might possible that he is in a difficult state and in lots of pain. In such circumstances, it is better to meet your vet and communicate this problem as a “dog stomach bug” which helps them to determine the type of illness. In this article, you will be able to know the symptoms, treatment, cost, home prevention, and how long it lasts for gastroenteritis in dogs.
What are the Symptoms of Gastroenteritis in Dogs?
If you are not aware of the gastroenteritis in dogs symptoms then do have a look at the following points. In case, you observe any of the below-mentioned signs then it recommends to contact your veterinarian immediately for future treatment.
- Your pet is not active and feeling low like moving slowly and has signs of fatigue.
- Any signs of vomiting after intake of food with or without blood.
- Symptoms of diarrhea because of any change in diet.
- Upset stomach.
Dehydration in Dogs
When the dogs suffer from dehydration then they will lose a large number of fluids from their body in terms of vomiting and electrolytes. Thus, it is important for pet owners to examine the hydration level of their dogs and how much they stay active daily. If you feel, your dog is not drinking water more than usual and feels lethargic then try to contact your vet because it can lead to a serious condition that requires immediate treatment.
How to check if your dog is hydrated?
Try to lift your dog’s skin from the back and check if it stays raised and goes back to its original position instantly. If this happens then it confirms, your dog is completely hydrated else you should contact your pet doctor.
Another way to check the hydration level of your pup at home is by pressing his gums. Within 2 seconds, if you observe the variation of color from white to pink then it confirms your pet is fully hydrated. Else, it is a sign of dehydration and you should ask the veterinarian for further treatment.
A few more symptoms of dehydration in dogs are panting, dry eyes, loss of appetite, thick saliva, dry nose, and dry gums. In all such conditions, it is better to meet the vet before it becomes risky.
What Are The Types of Gastroenteritis in Dogs?
The dogs can suffer from gastroenteritis which has a variety of faces your pet can have diarrhea with or without vomiting. The doctor will examine your pet on the basis of the types of gastroenteritis.
1. Acute Gastroenteritis
Such type of gastroenteritis might occur suddenly in dogs. This type of problem will not be cured on its own and hence you should get worried if your pet suffers from acute gastroenteritis.
2. Chronic Gastroenteritis
While on the other hand, chronic gastroenteritis might observe at any time in weeks, months, and years. In such a case, you should contact your vet and ask about the treatment and how long it will take to cure the disease.
What Causes Gastroenteritis in Dogs?
Here, we will discuss the causes of gastroenteritis. In many cases, it seems that anything which does changes in dog’s microbiome will meet the problems of gastroenteritis in pets like dogs. Some of the causes are illustrated below points:
- When your pet intake raw foods or spoiled materials then it can cause inflammation in your dog’s stomach which will lead to form gastroenteritis.
- Any formation of viruses found in your pup’s body like parvovirus, distemper, or any other bacteria.
- The formation of parasites is observed in the intestine.
- Variation is seen in the intestinal flora.
- Allergy in the body caused because of food intake.
- Intestinal obstruction.
- Gastrointestinal ulcers or cancer.
- Genetic problems caused because of foreign bodies.
The above points can help you to find out if your dog is suffering from gastroenteritis. While it is not an easy task to pinpoint the root cause of the problem. If any of such symptoms are observed in your pet, then it is possible to cure the problems by communicating the proficient vets near your place.
How to Treat Your Dogs from Gastroenteritis At Home?
If you need to treat the problem at your home then follow the below steps:
- For recovering gastroenteritis in dogs by home treatment, you need to follow the diet as prescribed by your vet and try to feed your dog slowly.
- The bland diet provided by the doctor should be given for a week so as to recover your pup properly.
- Always try to give plenty of water so that your pet will not feel dehydrated. The doctor’s advice is to give lots of fluids to your pets if they suffer from HGE and HGE-inducing.
- Also, examine your pup’s poop before cleaning it whether blood is present in the stool or not. In case, if you observe gastroenteritis in dogs with bloody stool particles try to contact your vet immediately as this can be a serious problem.
- Give high-quality food to your pets which must include wet food so as to cure digestion.
- Start gastroenteritis in dog medicine after asking your vet related to fleas, ticks, and heartworms. The doctor will prescribe medications to cure the problems related to common parasites.
- Try to make the surroundings stress-free for your dog. For example, if your pup fears fireworks, or roaming out of the home on roads, then try to give him an appropriate and stress-free environment.
What about the Gastroenteritis in Dogs Treatment Cost and Recovery Time?
- The pet owners are advised to take their pups to a professional vet doctor for gastroenteritis in dog treatment which will ensure the survival rate of your pets is over 95%. Yes, the treatment is difficult as you must see your pup in so much of pain still it is a good option to cure the problem completely.
- The doctor will examine your pet if he has any bacterial infection or not. Based on the examination, the vet will treat the problem accordingly.
- Always listen to the advice given by your vets for home treatment.
- The gastroenteritis in dogs treatment cost can vary as per the condition and size of your pup. If the condition is not serious then it can be treated in a lesser amount while if hospitalization is required then you might spend your hard-earned money on surgery and other treatments.
- If you are concerned with gastroenteritis in dogs’ recovery time then as per the studies, it seems to be treated in a few days or in a week. If in the future, you watch bloody particles in your pup’s stool then it recommends visiting the clinic soon for further treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does gastroenteritis exist in dogs?
Many pet lovers ask a common query about gastroenteritis in dogs and how long it last. It depends on the treatment and how professionally it is done and cured. In most cases, the problem is diagnosed and treated in a few days to a week. While in other cases, if the problem persists again then you will require to meet the doctor soon for future treatment.
Gastroenteritis in Dogs – Is it Contagious?
Yes, the disease is highly contagious. It can easily spread across the dog community in a small span of time. The main cause of the spreading of gastroenteritis is saliva, vomiting, dog licking, sniffing areas, and drinking water from the same bowls.
Does Gastroenteritis in Dogs Contagious to Humans?
Yes, it is quite possible that the diseases like gastroenteritis are easily expanded from animals to humans. Therefore, it is important to take care while visiting, zoos, animal exhibitions, and other places to be free from such infections.
Can I give Pumpkin to my Pup if he has Gastritis?
Canned pumpkin is an appropriate food option to make your pup’s tummy soothing and help it to recover in its original state.
What type of protein food is good for digestion in dogs?
The best sources of proteins are boiled lean turkey, chicken rice, pumpkin, or chicken breasts which are the most loved food by dogs. These are meant to be good when your dog’s stomach is upset and in excess pain. Meat is easy to digest and contains a lot of protein with respect to fiber or fat.
How vets will treat my dog for gastritis?
The vets will proceed with medical treatments like anti-vomiting medications. Some of the medicines utilized in gastritis are maropitant, metoclopramide, or proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole.
Is Gastritis a serious problem in dogs?
Sometimes gastroenteritis in dogs can take serious condition if not treated immediately. Therefore, it is always better to have a word with your vet if you face any of the symptoms stated like vomiting, blood in stool, loss of appetite, fatigue, and upset stomach. Otherwise, the disease can lead to becomes as Acute Haemorrhagic Diarrhea Syndrome which is medically stated as hemorrhagic gastroenteritis.